ASG March To Protest Budget Cut

ASG March To Protest Budget Cut

The march, which begins at 11 a.m. Wednesday, will start at the N.C. State University Bell Tower and wind down Hillsborough Street in Raleigh to the N.C. General Assembly Legislative Building.

The protest is in response to a request from the General Assembly's Joint Appropriations Subcommittee on Education that UNC-system officials cut 7 percent from the system's recurring budget. Lawmakers say the cuts might be necessary as they deal with the largest budget deficit in a decade.

ASG President Andrew Payne said the main objective of the march is to make state legislators aware that students, faculty and staff are opposed to any cuts.

Payne said he hopes for a turnout of at least 500 people. He said he is calling on student leaders systemwide to organize students for this march and similar marches on their own campuses. "This is a totally student-run effort and totally student initiated," he said. "I think it's going to make a tremendous impact."

There also will be a UNC protest at 11 a.m. Wednesday in front of South Building, according to a press release from Student Body President Justin Young.

Payne said he recognizes the fact that this march is set to take place on the last day of classes and is close to final exams, but he said it cannot be postponed any longer. "If we don't act now, we won't have a chance to show our disgust of these budget cuts," he said.

UNC-system officials, who have been petitioning state legislators in Raleigh to seek alternatives to the budget cut, said they backed the student march.

J. B. Milliken, UNC-system vice president of public affairs and university advancement, said the march is a step in the right direction. "It's always a good thing when students are involved in the discussion of policies that affect them."

Milliken added that the General Assembly has historically provided very strong support for the UNC system.

But lawmakers are emphasizing that the cuts are only proposals.

Sen. Walter Dalton, D-Rutherford, who serves as chairman of the Joint Appropriations Subcommittee on Education, said students need to realize that the budget cuts recommended by UNC-system officials are not final.

He said the students have a right to come to Raleigh and added that he welcomes them. "I think the students in our system are very bright," he said. "We're very proud of their accomplishments."

But he said there are very limited resources this year, and the General Assembly must find ways to protect education at all levels.

Milliken said UNC-system officials will continue their efforts to combat the proposed budget cuts.

"We have been working with the appropriations subcommittee to try to advance the universities' highest priorities and to keep possible budget reductions to a minimum."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.