Man Arrested for Shooting Parents in Family Home

Bryan Lamont Weeks, 24, of 4529 Bumphas Road, was arrested by Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Steve Minton, who responded to a 911 call one of the victims made at 3:16 a.m.

A 911 operator told Minton that the victim who placed the call said the assailant was her son. The caller also said he had fled in a car.

The victims, Susie White Carrington, Weeks's mother, and Klim McCoy Carrington, both of 4529 Bumphas Road, are listed in critical condition at UNC Hospitals.

As he approached Bumphas Road, Minton observed a vehicle turning right off of Bumphas onto New Hope Road.

The car's driver did not stop for the deputy's blue lights, so Minton pursued the vehicle into the Durham city limits.

After the vehicle blew a tire at the intersection of Avondale and Trinity avenues, the driver stopped the vehicle and fled on foot.

A short chase ensued and Minton apprehended the suspect, later identified as Weeks. He was charged with various traffic violations, soon followed by other charges.

Deputies also found and seized a firearm visible on the floorboard of Weeks's car.

Based on statements made by Weeks, he was then charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, inflicting serious injury.

He also has been charged with several traffic charges in connection with the incident.

Weeks made his first appearance in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough Tuesday morning.

He is being held at the Orange County Jail in Hillsborough in lieu of a $2,010,000 bond.

There is an administrative hearing that is scheduled for May 10 and he has been appointed a public defender, said officials in the district attorney's office.

A crime scene search is currently being conducted by the Orange County Sheriff's Department and the case is under further investigation.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.