UNC Honor Court, Code `Sells' on eBay

The UNC honor system was created by "bunny hugging liberals" according to the eBay description that offers it for sale.

A scathing criticism of the UNC Honor Code and the Honor Court currently can be found on the site, which features the entire system as sold for $20.50.

The site that had the system up for sale had received 439 hits and 13 bids, starting at 1 cent. It features a variety of insults directed at the UNC honor system that deride it as oppressive and undemocratic.

One section that lists possible violations states, "Jiggle penis more than three times after peeing: VIOLATION."

The site ridicules the Honor Court and expresses much of the dissatisfaction some students said they have felt with the highly scrutinized UNC institution.

Student Attorney General Brad Newcomb said he found out about the Web site about a week ago from a friend. He said that as he understood it, the site had been created by a Duke University student but probably at the request of a UNC student. Newcomb said he doubts the eBay Web site is reflective of anything more than one person's opinions. "My personal opinion is that it is a prank or some genuine anger from a disgruntled individual," he said. "It's an isolated case."

Newcomb said he does not value the Web site as a source of genuine student concern but rather feels it was a poor attempt at humor that ignores the facts and instead criticizes the UNC honor system in a juvenile way. "I felt that most of it was not based on fact," he said. "It's a joke and a poor one at that."

Although the eBay site provides no real information about what changes should be made to the current UNC Honor Code and Honor Court, Newcomb said more constructive criticism is already being used to improve recognized flaws with the system.

"We continue to monitor the system to make sure that the system regards every individuals' rights," he said.

As the student attorney general, Newcomb said he plans to play a significant role in revamping the system and trying to make it better for UNC students. "I think our system is too reactive," he said. "It should be more proactive. We should try to discourage violations before they happen and try to encourage an atmosphere of trust and honor."