Film Fails to `Evolve' From Mediocrity

Duchovny and Jones don't click together on-screen during "Evolution" - their relationship is more scripted than natural. On top of that, the jokes are weak one-liners, which even the best of actors couldn't magically make funny.

If you've seen this movie's trailers and commercials, you've seen all of the best parts already - both in terms of the jokes and the special effects.

In the film, Jones and Duchovny play community college science professors Harry Block and Ira Kane, respectively. When they stumble into a strange crashed meteorite that "bleeds" green goop, they slowly figure out there is something slightly odd about their new finding.

From this point, the plot progresses quite rapidly, considering that the alien life that began as gelatinous goo in the morning evolves into millions of flatworms in a few short hours. The worms soon transform into strange, exotic "Star Wars"-esque carnivores just in time for the dinner bell.

Thank God the movie finished quickly. Just when you find yourself drifting into an entertainment oblivion, an ugly beast - part reptile, part your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine - tears into an unsuspecting housewife to quench your yearning for pointless violence.

Legendary Saturday Night Liver Dan Akroyd plays a senator from Arizona (the state the meteor hit), which gives some variety, but unfortunately not many extra laughs. His part is also quite small, minimizing his chance to show his endless comic talents.

"Evolution" is a feeble attempt at comedy, sketchily intertwined with cutting-edge computer animation. It is "X-files" meets "Jurassic Park" meets some teeny-bopper bad excuse for a comedy. It's also reminiscent of "Tremors," which has a semi-decent plot and sits alone atop the scary-worm movie genre.

I guess you could say the movie is quite simply "regular" entertainment - nothing to write home about.

Just a predictable, save-our-world-from-alien-infestation storyline and not much else.

But when the movie ends and the credits begin to roll, you can't help but feel a proud smile across your lips, knowing that humankind is safe to live another day - at least until the sequel.

Adrial Dale can be reached at adrial@email.unc.edu.