`Swordfish' Delivers Solid, Sexy Fun

Who can possibly argue that this doesn't add up to true Hollywood entertainment?

Greed for substantial amounts of money is the central theme of this movie, but the means used to reach this end contain an amazing amount of visual flair, along with ideas never before used in such a production.

At times, "Swordfish" will leave your jaw open and drooling in disbelief.

The visual component of this flick is definitely the overriding factor - a good distraction from the gloomy boredom of "real life."

The nail-biting opening scene does a remarkable job of captivating the audience.

A simple method of cinematography, the 360-degree sweeping-camera motion (think, "The Matrix"), keeps the eyes mesmerized as the action leads to an intense climax five minutes into the story.

John Travolta plays a ruthless freedom fighter obsessed with an internal war against America because he feels the promise of "the American dream" has been reneged upon.

His fierce battle for justice involves breaking into computer systems with the help of expert hackers, one of whom is played by Hugh Jackman (Wolverine in "X-Men"), in order to combat the assumed wrongdoings of Uncle Sam.

Travolta's acting is phenomenal, as usual (notwithstanding his infamous portrayal of a funny-looking, power-hungry alien in "Battlefield Earth," of course).

He pulls off the guy-you-love-to-hate brilliantly and exudes a demeanor that fully brings his character to life on screen.

His right-hand woman, played by Halle Berry (Storm from "X-Men"), is a seductive temptress who plays a refreshingly fundamental role in how the story evolves, considering Hollywood's recent tendencies.

Also, Berry's natural presence clearly adds an intriguingly sexy element to the picture.

The hard-techno soundtrack, produced by electronic music guru Paul Oakenfold, helps draw the spectators into the intense parts of the movie, while still allowing one to enjoy the quality of the music itself.

While the plot is lacking in originality, the visual effects, the virtual "X-Men" cast reunion and gripping action give the film a sugar-rush quality, indisputably placing this movie in the category of "Whoa! What the . just happened?"

Adrial Dale can be reached at adrial@email.unc.edu.