Depth Questionable at LB

Three veteran linebackers will attempt to continue the linebacking tradition at UNC but have untested backups.

The Irish aren't on UNC's schedule this year, but first-year North Carolina coach John Bunting expects his line-backers to show the same kind of tenacity

as he did way back when.

Although he hasn't gone specifically to his starting three linebackers -- David Thornton, Quincy Monk and Merceda Perry -- to talk about his glory days at one of UNC's traditionally strong positions, Bunting still expects big things out of his guys.

"I think the linebackers are the guys that run the football team," Bunting said. "You want a good football team, you need a quarterback that leads and linebackers that lead."

UNC's three linebackers have plenty of experience between them -- but it's better than the back-ups.

Senior Thornton played in 316 snaps in 2000, mostly on special teams. But his hard work impressed Bunting enough that the former walk-on earned a scholarship in the spring.

Perry started the first two games of last season as an outside linebacker until fracturing his right ankle against Wake Forest after making four tackles. He received a medical redshirt.

Taking over at middle linebacker for Brandon Spoon, who was a fourth-round pick by the Buffalo Bills, is senior Quincy Monk. Monk stepped in last year when Perry went down for the season. Monk had 76 hits and six tackles for a loss of 31 yards last year, but he'll be needed for a lot more than that. Replacing a defensive leader like Spoon will require more than six TFLs.

"Monk's a great leader," Thornton said. "Merceda's provide a whole lot of extensive leadership as well."

Leadership might only carry the Tar Heels so far. Beyond the three starters, there's a whole lot of questions.

Two redshirt freshmen and one junior back up the three. Ronald Harris, the junior, played in 11 games and will backup Monk.

"Oh yeah," Thornton said when asked if he was comfortable with the linebackers' depth. "We got Ronald Harris, Malcolm Stewart, Clarence Gaddy and Devllen Bullard -- they'll provide formidable depth."

Depth or no depth, things should be interesting for UNC's linebackers. Defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta has instituted a pro-style defense that the corps hopes will baffle their opponents.