Field Hockey, Men's Soccer Score Road Victories

The No. 2 North Carolina field hockey team shut out Connecticut to earn its first win of the 2001 season.

The game was a homecoming for UNC senior midfielder Abby Martin, who is from Saratoga Springs. She scored the Tar Heels' first goal 26:02 into the first half. Martin, a third-team All-American, scored on a penalty stroke.

Senior Abbey Woolley scored the second goal on an assist from freshman Charlotte Plugge with 8:03 left in the first half.

At 27:35 of the second half, freshman Kesley Keeran tallied the Tar Heels' third goal with another assist from Plugge. Senior back Susan Hayes added a fourth goal with 11:10 left in the second half. The goal the first in Hayes' career.

UNC opens its home season Saturday and Sunday against Penn State and Virginia Commonwealth at Henry Stadium.

Men's Soccer Tops UMass

The fifth-ranked North Carolina men's soccer team beat Massachusetts 2-0 on Saturday night in Chicopee, Mass., in its first exhibition game of the 2001 season.

The Tar Heels got on the board early with goals from Mike Gell in the second minute of the contest and Ryan Kneipper in the 10th minute.

Gell's goal came after UMass junior Bryan O'Quinn stopped a Noz Yamauchi shot. Gell hit a shot in the top corner off the rebound. Kneipper's tally came just eight minutes later, and freshman Tim Merritt assisted on the play.

"I don't think we were ready to play in the first 10 minutes," UMass coach Sam Koch said. "They scored two great goals early, but I think we settled down after the second one."

North Carolina will begin regular-season play next weekend when they host East Carolina and Appalachian State on Friday and Monday evenings.