Former Cav Tennis Player Takes Helm of UNC Team

Assistant Sports Editor

Her office may not be fully unpacked, but new North Carolina women's tennis coach Jen Callen is entirely ready to help assemble a winner for UNC in 2002.

Callen, who was the women's coach at Dartmouth last season, takes over the reins left by former coach Roland Thornqvist. Thornqvist left the program to take the coaching position at Florida.

Since being hired on July 25, Callen has spoken to nearly her entire team, and by Thursday she will hold her first team meeting as coach.

A four-time All-ACC performer during her collegiate career at Virginia from 1990-94, Callen expects to have a strong bond between her and players.

"I think I relate to the players well," Callen said. "I feel like I not only understand what they are going through on and off the court, (but) I think my passion for the game is something that really helps players," she said.

Callen inherits a team that finished the 2001 campaign ranked 20th in the country. California topped the Tar Heels in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Only two players -- seniors Erin Niebling and Courtney Zalinski -- were lost from last season's squad. But junior Marlene Mejia is back. She was ranked 17th last year by the International Tennis Association.

Callen said she remembers her many battles against North Carolina, including the matches against three-time ACC player of the year Cinda Gurney.

The new coach will look to utilize her playing experience as a tool in guiding her new players.

"As a coach, I am always striving to help players develop on and off the court in an effort to make their college experience the best in their life," Callen said.

Callen said she hopes the Tar Heels can stay injury-free and be fighters on the court, a trait that could help propel UNC into the top 15 this season.

She also looks forward to the scholarship advantages that a big-time program brings, a luxury she lacked while in the Ivy League.

And although her office is cluttered, Callen is busy at work, attempting to promote her team -- and the University -- to future players.

"I think UNC sells itself in many ways," Callen said. "And I'm going to try and recruit the finest talent in the country."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports @unc.edu.