Johnson Wins Wimbledon

Former UNC tennis player Don Johnson teamed with Jared Palmer to capture his second Wimbledon title.

Johnson and Palmer defeated the Czech Republic's Jiri Novak and David Rikl 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 in a match riddled with rain delays.

The win was Johnson's second in two years at Wimbledon, his first coming in mixed doubles last year.

Johnson boasts a record of 41-11 for the year, claiming six titles. He is coached by UNC coach Sam Paul.

Men's Lacrosse Adds 12th Recruit

North Carolina's men's lacrosse announced Richard Thomas, a goalkeeper from the Gilman School in Baltimore, has committed to the Tar Heels.

Thomas is the fourth member of the Baltimore Sun All-Metro boys' lacrosse team to commit to North Carolina for the coming year.

The 15-man All-Metro team includes 14 seniors and one junior.

Of the 14 seniors that the team will boast this year, four will play at North Carolina.

Swimmers Finish Strong in California

Four North Carolina swimmers turned in top-25 finishes Saturday at the U.S. Swimming Senior National Championships in Clovis, Calif.

Senior Chris Helin led the Tar Heels, finishing 13th in the men's 200-meter individual medley with a time of 2 minutes, 6.33 seconds.

Helin also captured eighth place in the men's 400-meter individual medley in 4:29.36.

Junior Christy Watkins of Winter Springs, Fla., took 14th place in the women's 50-meter freestyle.

She finished with a time of 26.62 seconds.

Junior Stephen Mohr of Mequon, Wis., swam in the "C" final of the same event.

He finished 18th in the 400 IM with a time of 4:33.66.