Marshall Aims for U.S. Senate Seat

Elaine Marshall, secretary of state, is the only Democrat to have declared candidacy for Jesse Helms' position.

Marshall will seek the Democratic nomination in 2002 for the Senate seat presently held by Republican Jesse Helms.

Marshall said women in politics, such as herself, are beginning to gain public acceptance.

"It's a quantum leap forward, and women have done well," she said.

"The public is enjoying a growing confidence in women as public policy leaders."

Although she has no experience on the national stage, Marshall has both legislative and executive experience on the state level.

She was elected state senator in 1993, serving just one term. In 1996, Marshall defeated NASCAR driver Richard Petty for her first term as secretary of state -- a post to which she was re-elected last fall.

But Bill Cobey, chairman of the N.C. Republican Party, said name recognition could be a problem for Marshall.

"She has been elected statewide a couple of times," he said. "But she is not very well known. ... It will be hard for her to overcome that."

Marshall is the only Democratic candidate who has officially declared candidacy.

Other possible party candidates include Rep. Dan Blue, D-Wake, and Mark Erwin, a Charlotte businessman.

Marshall said she boasts a wide range of life experiences that will aid her in running for the U.S. Senate, citing her time as a legislator, a businesswoman and a teacher.

Charles Coe, a N.C. State University political science professor, said raising money will be Marshall's toughest challenge.

"The Senate races are all about money," Coe said. "That's where (Helms) was so effective, he was just able to raise a mammoth amount of money."

Marshall admits raising funds is a priority in her campaign. She said she goes to lunches and meetings to talk with supporters.

"The way you raise money is ask for it, and that's what I do every day," she said.

Marshall said she has raised more than $100,000 so far. But she predicts that she will need $2 million to $3 million to compete in the primary.

Raising money and campaigning take time, but Marshall said she is in no way neglecting her responsibilities as secretary of state.

She often uses her cell phone to keep in touch with her staff.

"I just do what I have to do to juggle," she said. "You've got to have a good team in place, and I've got one."

Cobey said he assumes Marshall will have a liberal stance on issues but that he knows little about her political platform.

"Defining herself and how she stands on the issues is going to be tough," he said.

"It's not long until next May when she has to stand alone in the Democratic primary."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.