Seminoles Hope to Avoid Topple From Top

Since Florida State became an ACC football team in 1992, the rest of the league's football teams have been biding their time, waiting for a chance to rebel and oust Tallahassee's titans from the top of the conference.

Sometimes it's a key injury that gives the others hope. Other times, it's a Seminole loss during the regular season.

This year, the departures of Chris Weinke, Travis Minor, Jamal Reynolds and Tay Cody to the NFL have lent new optimism to practice fields and coaching offices from College Park to Atlanta.

But despite losing the nucleus of an 11-2 squad that fell to Oklahoma in last season's national championship FedEx Orange Bowl, FSU coach Bobby Bowden isn't running for cover quite yet.

"In the 47 years I've been coaching, this is not the first year I've been through a situation where I've lost everyone," Bowden said. "I've always found it more exciting when you have a lot of question marks. We've got more question marks this year than in the last four years."

Many of FSU's concerns lie with its usually high-scoring offense. Adding to Bowden's worries is the fact that longtime offensive coordinator Mark Richt took the head coaching job at Georgia.

None more troublesome is the void Bowden has to fill at the quarterback spot. The Heisman Trophy-winning Weinke started for the Seminoles during the past three seasons and threw for 4,167 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2000.

Bowden has tabbed freshman Chris Rix as his favorite to start the Seminoles season opener on Sept. 1 at Duke.

At wide receiver, FSU finds itself unusually thin, as starters Robert Morgan and Anquan Boldin both sustained season-ending knee injuries in the preseason. Atrews Bell and Javon Walker will see significant playing time at wideout for the Seminoles.

Greg Jones and Kannapolis' Nick Maddox will battle it out to be the Seminoles' primary running back. Jones is FSU's leading returning rusher.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior free safety Chris Hope will lead an inexperienced secondary.

"My main concern is that they'll have to stay focused," Hope said. "Coming from high school and being the best player on the field, they didn't get beat too many times."

Bradley Jennings and Kendyll Pope return to FSU's linebacker corps, and Darnell Dockett will lead the defensive line. They will try to replicate the success of last year's defense, which allowed a little more than 10 points and 74 yards rushing per game.

Although they don't have the experience of past FSU squads, this season's roster still is stacked with high school All-Americans waiting for their chance.

"You don't have to worry about us losing any talent; we have plenty of that," offensive tackle Brett Williams said.