System Low in Federal Funds

The UNC system, which will receive $13.7 million in 2001, ranks 31st nationally among public university systems receiving congressionally appropriated funds.

Congress provided $1.67 billion in funds earmarked for colleges this year -- $624 million more than last year.

Pork-barrel legislation, also known as earmarks, are federally directed grants appropriated for specific research. The funds usually are for projects used to channel federal money to a lobbying congressman's district.

But Bob Samors, UNC-system associate vice president of federal relations, said the state is ranked third nationally for receiving peer-reviewed federal funding, most of which goes toward science and engineering.

Peer-reviewed funds are grants issued on a competitive basis for specific research projects. "It's not a question of trying to find out more projects to earmark, but a question of finding what the universities need and what the priorities are," Samors said.

Samors said officials are not concerned with the system's national earmark ranking. "The question is whether the university is doing good work with the funds that it has," he said.

UNC-Chapel Hill must share $1.5 million from the U.S. Department of Defense with two other universities. The money will benefit both military and business research.

UNC-CH also received two additional appropriations -- the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services allocated $850,000 for cancer, fibrosis and hypertension research, and NASA allocated $500,000 for a hands-on science museum.

But N.C. legislators still are working to increase federal funding for the state.

Jean-Louise Beard, chief of staff for Rep. David Price, D-N.C., said Price's seat on the U.S. House Appropriations Committee allows him to influence grant funding for the UNC system.

"(Price) is actively involved in working with the university system to obtain funding for priorities which the university system identifies," she said.

House Appropriations Committee Member Rep. Charles Taylor, R-N.C., also has pledged to help bring more earmarked funds into the state.

Taylor's press secretary, Will Haynie, said the representative's goals mirror those of the university system. "He wants to keep things as current in his district as in other parts of the UNC system."

Beard said the system's ranking can be explained by general principles of supply and demand. "There is an essential problem of increased demand without a proportional increase in available resources," she said. "When the pot gets smaller, a lot of worthy projects don't get funded."

The State & National Desk can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.