4 Alumni Confirmed As Dead

Ryan Kohart, a 1998 UNC lacrosse captain, worked on the 104th floor of the World Trade Center's north tower.

Kohart, who was a defenseman for the Tar Heels and played on teams from 1995-98, will be honored in a memorial service to be held at noon Saturday at the Cathedral of Incarnation on Cathedral Avenue in Ryan's hometown of Garden City, N.Y.

A memorial fund in Kohart's name has been established by the University to provide financial aid to a North Carolina lacrosse player.

Ryan was the son of Geoffrey and Joy Kohart. He was one of four Kohart sons to play collegiate lacrosse. Ryan's younger brother Brett was a Tar Heel from 1996-99 and played on the team with him. Geoffrey Jr., played at Johns Hopkins, and Adam played at UMass-Boston.

Ryan worked for Cantor Fitzgerald as an assistant trader in the OTC Group. The OTC was a small group of equity traders for Cantor Fitzgerald, one of the leading bond trading firms on Wall Street. Ryan worked on the 104th floor of the north tower.

Contributions to the Ryan Kohart Memorial Scholarship Fund can be sent as follows:

Educational Foundation
University of North Carolina
P.O. Box 2446
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
Attention: Sue Walsh

Please write Ryan Kohart Memorial Fund on the checks .

"Ryan had told his fiancee Melissa White, that in the future, one of his goals was to provide a lacrosse scholarship so that he could pay back UNC for all of the assistance that he received during his four years in Chapel Hill," said Geoffrey Kohart Sr. "We will make his wish come true."

Kohart is one of four UNC alumni confirmed as a victim of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

The other three victims are Karleton Fyfe of Boston, a 1992 graduate who was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11; Dora Menchaca of Santa Monica, Calif., a 1978 graduate who was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 77; and Christopher Quackenbush of Manhasset, N.Y., a 1979 graduate who worked in the World Trade Center.