ACC Games Postponed; Football Might Follow

The commissioners from all the Division I-A conferences, including the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern, discussed their options for staging this weekend's games during a conference call hours after the attacks.

"We're going to monitor and carefully evaluate everything and definitely make a decision (today) on our weekend football games," Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said, speaking only for his own league's games.

He added: "The commissioners will be talking to their institutions on conference calls, and then we will talk again and make a collective decision."

Two games are scheduled for Thursday night -- Penn State at Virginia and Ohio at N.C. State, both at ACC schools.

Make-up dates were not immediately announced.

In Division I, there are 116 games scheduled Thursday through Saturday.

The final decision on whether to play could rest with the federal government, not the commissioners. The government most likely will determine whether teams should travel by air and crowds ranging from about 35,000 to more than 100,000 should gather at stadiums nationwide.

"It may be out of our hands," Tranghese said. "There are a lot of issues, emotional ones. Kids flying, playing in large venues with a lot of people, and if the government says do something, we do it."

NCAA president Cedric Dempsey said the NCAA would cooperate with any executive orders issued by President Bush.

"The games themselves are insignificant in the face of what has happened today," Dempsey said in a statement. "Our focus is entirely on the safety of student-athletes, athletics personnel and fans.

"We urge schools to make sound decisions about proceeding with contests today and in the coming days."

ACC Games Postponed

The ACC announced Tuesday that all intercollegiate athletic events through Thursday involving ACC member institutions, will be postponed because of the recent national tragedy.

"We are deeply saddened by the tragic events of this morning," said ACC commissioner John Swofford. "All nine ACC member institutions are in agreement that the next couple of days should be a time for reflection and prayer for the families of those who are involved in this tragedy."

The ACC will have an announcement Wednesday evening concerning this weekend's athletic events.