Addition of Smoothie Bar to SRC Delayed

The original plan was for Aramark Corp., the Carolina Dining Services provider, to have a Freshens Yogurt and Smoothie facility serving SRC patrons by the end of Labor Day weekend.

UNC Aramark representative Evan Klingman said construction on the bar will now begin before the end of the semester. He said the construction delay results mainly from having to meet strict codes from N.C. Health Department.

"In North Carolina, before any project can start, you have to submit all drawings to (the health department)," Klingman said. "We made modifications, and now we're waiting on the green light from them."

Health codes forced Aramark to make several changes on the original layout of the bar. Accommodations include a three-compartment sink, as well as an overall expansion of the space provided for the bar, Klingman said.

SRC Director Lauren Manigili said students have expressed interest in the smoothie bar, but she said the delay is not a major inconvenience. "We're excited about having (the smoothie bar), but it's not urgent to us and apparently it's not urgent to them either," she said.

Many SRC staff members said they regarded the prospect of having a Freshens Yogurt and Smoothie distributor in a positive light. "It'll be a great addition to the SRC," said staff member Logan Stewart. "SRC users will really like it, and it will add to the workout experience."

The smoothie bar will be one of several recent changes at the SRC. The center has several new features, including a new front desk, revolving turnstile and an expanded variety of aerobics classes. The SRC plans on adding a new satellite music system as well.

"(The changes) were made to increase traffic and increase use (of the SRC)" said employee Jason Langberg.

But a few SRC patrons said the addition of the bar would ruin the atmosphere of the center and attract a lot of unwanted attention. "I'm mad at the SRC for doing it," said junior Shane Landrum. "Why do they have to have a smoothie bar at the SRC? There's one about five minutes away."