Backlash Against Muslims Unjustified; Faith Doesn't Justify Acts of Violence

Tuesday's events have launched an all-out investigative force to determine those responsible for the atrocities. Yet the main suspect in this investigation is Osama bin Laden, a Muslim and a known terrorist. However, regardless of whether he is responsible for this crime, what was done Tuesday is the work of a madman or several.

Regardless of their religious affiliation, their actions do not reflect the beliefs and practices upon which their religion is based. Generalizing that the entire Muslim faith believes and would act in ways similar to those undertaken by the perpetrators is a ridiculous claim -- a claim that the Informed Christian News Service makes through a flier they have posted around campus. The flier asserts, "We must not let down our guard concerning the violent nature of Islam.

Friends, please do not be fooled by the false face which Islam puts on in nations where it does not rule!" This is indeed a very ridiculous claim, yet this thought seems to be a national trend, as there has already been a tremendous backlash against the Muslim population. Since yesterday, radio and television broadcasts have warned that Muslims wearing the traditional attire should stay away from public places and should not visit mosques for fear of persecution or even violence.

Our solemn President stated of yesterday's events: "our way of life and our freedom [is] under attack." The American way of life is built upon the notion of liberty and acceptance of people's beliefs and practices, provided those beliefs do not encroach on others' rights. There is nothing in the Muslim faith that would encourage or even allow condoning such a terrorist act.

Let us not turn what is an American tragedy into a racist regime and let us instead work on helping each other as much as we can in whatever ways we can. Racism will undermine every notion of personal freedom this country has fought for through its 225 years.

While this tragedy has threatened our safety and security, let it not threaten the principles of liberty and personal rights upon which our country was founded.

Jason Idilbi

Sophomore

Philosophy and Political Science