Barnard's Punts Frustrate Tar Heels

By Kelly Lusk

Assistant Sports Editor

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland punter Brooks Barnard didn't need to eat any Wheaties to play like a champion.

This was fortunate for his team, because Barnard, whose long punts gave the North Carolina football team such poor field position that it couldn't move the ball, missed the team breakfast Saturday morning in the Byrd Stadium fieldhouse.

"I had to go," said Barnard, who was fourth in the country in punting last season. He rushed to the restroom just seconds before Terrapin coach Ralph Friedgen locked the door to the cafeteria.

"I couldn't hold it anymore, so I was in a dead sprint to the bathroom. Breakfast started at 8 o'clock and I probably showed up there at 8 o'clock and 30 seconds. (Friedgen) said `Out.'"

Despite missing breakfast, Barnard didn't take long to make an impression on UNC's offense. The junior's first punt only sailed 27 yards to go out of bounds at the Tar Heels' 23-yard line.

UNC running back Willie Parker scored on a 77-yard run on the next play, but that was the last time the Tar Heels would break through Maryland's defense -- a fact largely due to Barnard's superior boots down the field.

On his next punt, he lofted the ball 57 yards to UNC's 1-yard line to frustrate the Tar Heels, who were busy trying to evade getting tackled in the end zone and couldn't move the ball downfield.

"He kept us pinned down," UNC coach John Bunting said. "We never really had good field position. When you're inside your one-yard line, you are limited as to what you can do."

With the score tied at seven in the second quarter, Barnard blasted a 55-yard punt to the Tar Heels' 11-yard line, and the momentum shifted. Parker attempted four carries and ended up getting tackled by safety Tyrone Stewart in the end zone to put the Terps up by two.

"What a punting job he did," Friedgen said. "Not only did he punt with average, but he kicked the ball within the 10-yard line I don't know how many times. The difference in field position -- especially when you're struggling offensively -- is huge in the game."

And Barnard was happy to contribute to UNC's offensive struggles. Of North Carolina's 14 drives on the day, nine began inside its own 25-yard line. Seven of those nine began immediately after a Barnard punt.

"To put them inside the 10 and a couple times inside the 20, having to drive the whole field, I think that was a big edge for us," Terps defensive tackle Charles Hill said.

All this from a guy who had to have his teammates sneak him bananas on water breaks and was scarfing down energy bars during halftime.

Barnard said, "If that's the result, then I'll be chowing down on Power Bars at halftime and be 30 seconds late to breakfast every game."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.