BOT Focuses Discussion On Development Plan

But the main topic of discussion was relations between the University and the town of Chapel Hill because UNC's Development Plan, an outline of campus expansion in the next eight years, comes up for final approval by the Chapel Hill Town Council on Oct. 3.

"A number of issues today that impact the issue we refer to as town-gown relations are very much on the board's mind, and that will be borne out today," said Tim Burnett, chairman of the BOT, in his opening remarks.

In his opening statement, Chancellor James Moeser addressed the creation of the School of Government, formerly known as the Institute of Government. Moeser also said UNC's proposed program in Qatar through the Kenan-Flagler Business School would be delayed in light of the Sept. 11 tragedies and said he plans to form a special chancellor's task force to review UNC's Honor Code.

Trustees then discussed construction projects, including the Mason Farm Road area, where the University hopes to build student family housing. This plan has met opposition from residents who fear the effects of expansion. "What has come to pass in our meetings with neighbors is, candidly, a constant pressure for us to accommodate them in a number of ways," said Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for facilities services.

The University and town have been negotiating the plan's details in recent weeks, attempting to reach a compromise before the Oct. 3 hearing. "We have made significant progress in coming up with exact verbiage we think would protect our interests and theirs," Runberg said.

Most of the discussion centered on the proposed access road that would divert traffic from Manning Drive, a proposal which was met with some skepticism from trustees. "I think we would be doing a long-term disservice by building that road," said Trustee Richard Stevens.

After the discussion of the building and grounds committee reports were completed, Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration, presented the reports of the Audit, Business and Finance Committee.

She proposed an 8.2 percent increase in undergraduate student fees for 2002-03, which the BOT approved, and a new commercial paper program to provide capital improvement funds.

Suttenfield also brought up the issue of campus expansion and the Development Plan again, dividing the financial element into the economic implications of the plan on UNC and financial equity between the town and the University.

The rest of the meeting included a report on admissions from Director of Admissions Jerry Lucido and a report from Shirley Ort, director of scholarships and student aid. Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Sue Kitchen also delivered an update on student life.