Crash Injures Biker On Raleigh Road

John Farley, 24, of 806-A Old Mill Road suffered minor abrasions and injuries to his shoulder, right wrist and forehead in the accident that happened on Raleigh Road.

Police reports state that Farley was riding his bike on the sidewalk when Will Stanley, 26, of 3109 Five Fork Road pulled out of the Chapel Hill Friends Meeting Place driveway, located at 531 Raleigh Road.

Stanley pulled his vehicle out further onto the sidewalk because nearby shrubs obstructed his view of the road, reports state.

Farley was traveling at an estimated speed of 15 mph when his bicycle struck the front, right panel of Stanley's vehicle, reports state.

Stanley said he was waiting to turn left onto Raleigh Road when Farley flew over the hood of his car.

"He couldn't really see me, and I couldn't really see him," Stanley said.

"I didn't see him until he flew over my hood," he added. "I'm a new driver, so I really didn't know what to do."

But Audrey DeNazelle, a UNC graduate student from the School of Public Health, said Friday's accident could have been avoided had the bicyclist been riding on the street rather than the sidewalk.

"Riding on the sidewalk, however tempting, is more dangerous," said DeNazelle, who is also a member of Critical Mass, a part of a worldwide movement to establish cyclists' right to use the road. "It's not a safe idea for bicyclists or pedestrians," she added. "There is way too much space given to cars on campus, and oftentimes bicyclists think the sidewalks are safer."

Farley could not be reached for comment.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.