Dancing, Revelry Follow Annual BSM Coronation

A night of dancing and revelry followed the crowning of seniors Thurston Cherry and Sundarkia Newman as Mr. and Ms. BSM.

"This is a time of celebration, a time to look back at the things we've accomplished, and a time to look forward and continue with the movement," said BSM President Kristi Booker.

The annual BSM Coronation Ball began with the crowning ceremony in which the former Mr. and Ms. BSM passed their crowns to the newly elected individuals and also offered advice.

Former Mr. BSM and first-year New York University law student Brandon Lofton encouraged the new Mr. and Ms. BSM to work toward meaningful goals. "I want the new Mr. and Ms. BSM to do something that addresses the changing needs of the community and world."

Members of the organization emphasized that being elected Mr. and Ms. BSM is not just an honor but that it also involves responsibility.

Mr. and Ms. BSM are required to complete a service project, run for Mr. and Ms. UNC and generally be involved in politics and service on campus, High said. "Mr. and Ms. BSM is an example of what BSM stands for," said BSM Vice President Brad Picot.

To earn the honor and responsibility of being Mr. and Ms. BSM, candidates campaign, complete an interview with BSM officers and participate in an open forum where they discuss their platform with BSM members.

The 2001 Underwater Court, a group that supports Mr. and Ms. BSM, also was announced and introduced in the coronation ceremony.

Sophomores Kitnequa Evans and Christopher Owens and juniors Lindsay Reid and Ranardo Pearsall were elected to this court. The court supports the completion of Mr. and Ms. BSM's mandatory service projects, and it bears the general expectation of campus involvement.

Newman said her project will be a mentoring program to pair up area seventh and eighth graders interested in science and technical fields with UNC students. "Personally being in a hard-core science field, I see a huge lack of minority faces -- I want to help put minorities in these fields," she said.

Cherry, the newly elected Mr. BSM, said he plans to have a benefit concert for the Durham Arts Council and establish a mentoring system that encourages black high school students to attend UNC and major in the arts.

In his new position, Cherry wants to continue to be supportive of the BSM, a group he has been involved with for four years. "I want to assist all BSM members, encourage underclassmen by acting as a mentor to them and represent the movement in a positive light," he said.