Decor Differs at Local Coffee Shops

On Franklin Street, one can pick from franchised coffee shops that dot college towns across the country and indie coffee shops that are indigenous to Chapel Hill itself.

Starbucks Coffee and Caribou Coffee are two of the more conspicuous chain coffee shops. Both are located near the busiest intersection in Chapel Hill -- the Franklin and Columbia streets crossing. But each shop has atmospheres that differ enough to attract a variety of customers.

Starbucks, 103 E. Franklin St., has a brick-and-mortar, jazzy feel, with the dangling red lights and low-key lighting typical of Starbucks cafes across the country.

Caribou Coffee, 110 W. Franklin St., is larger and lined with glossy wood panels, rooms of varying seating arrangements and more than 10 tables for customers who want to enjoy their Coffee Coolers or iced chais outside.

The Coffee Mill Roastery, which is located halfway between California Pizza Cafe and Starbucks, is also a cafe that doubles as an eatery. The store has a lot of deli and gourmet foods for sale.

On the atmosphere side, Stefanie Douglas said the Roastery's setting and customers made for a calm atmosphere.

"It's really laid back," Douglas said. "Everybody's pretty low-key."

Accompanied by an old-time, almost colonial atmosphere, the shop is usually sparsely seated and provides an ideal setting for anyone wanting a pause from a busy day.

The coffee menu has all the basics, as well as some tea items not available in major chains.

Less well-known coffee shops include the newly opened California Pizza Cafe, which replaced Caffe Trio, a cafe that had been in Chapel Hill for decades.

Doubling as a gourmet eatery and a cafe, California Cafe serves pizzas, penne and panini (Italian sandwich) dishes and includes a small coffee menu with basic coffee staples such as the cappuccino, espresso and iced latte.

The cafe, located at 210 E. Franklin St., is relaxed and it is arranged like a sandwich shop.

Another new cafe this year is Campenella's Cafe and Art Gallery, 416 W. Franklin St.

Doubling not as an eatery and cafe as many other coffee shops on Franklin Street do, Campenella's upon first glance looks like an art studio where painters and wannabe-painters gather to hone their artistic skills.

A bright atmosphere that likens itself to a colorful living room, Campenella's has an adequate coffee menu, but visitors are likely to come for the coffee and stay for the room.

On the door of Open Eye Cafe, 100 E. Main St. in Carrboro, it notes that you're about to enter the first coffee house in Carrboro.

The shop's home-like setting and periodic live music can keep coffee drinkers coming back for more.

Far down on East Franklin Street toward Estes Drive and tucked behind an antiques shop and trees hides Caffe Driade.

The teahouse and espresso bar offers special wines, cigars and craft beers. And the setting, Whitney Rutter said, puts Driade above the rest.

"It's mostly an outside place," said Rutter, an employee of six months. "It's in the woods and its a very European style cafe."

Caffe Driade, located at 1215-A E. Franklin St., connects to a greenway trail that leads to parks and developments between Franklin Street and Airport Road.