Field Hockey Strives To Regain No. 1 Rank

Two of the last four UNC-Wake Forest matchups have gone into overtime. The Tar Heels won both meetings during the 2000 season, 3-2 in Chapel Hill and 4-3 in overtime in Winston-Salem.

North Carolina fell from first place in this week's national coaches' poll. Maryland took over the top spot. All five ACC field hockey teams are ranked in the top 11 in this week's poll.

Women's Soccer Starts Road Trip

The top-ranked North Carolina women's soccer team hits the road this week with three games in five days.

UNC will meet 16th-ranked Tennessee (4-2) at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Tennessee Soccer Complex in Knoxville, Tenn. One of Tennessee's top players is junior striker Kim Patrick, who played on UNC's NCAA championship teams in 1999 and 2000.

Patrick transferred to Tennessee after last season with the blessing of the Tar Heel program so she could be in an environment where she could get more playing time.

After playing at Tennessee, UNC will continue its road trip Friday by meeting Auburn and Alabama-Birmingham.

Peppers Picked for Defensive Award

DALLAS -- Defensive end Julius Peppers was named the FWAA-Bronko Nagurski Defensive Player of the Week on Monday by a panel of Football Writers Association of America members.

The FWAA will pick a defensive player of the week each Monday during the rest of the regular season. Peppers was already on the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which will be presented Dec. 10 in Charlotte by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

Peppers equaled his career high with 10 tackles, including four for losses and one sack, as the Tar Heels trounced then-No. 6 Florida State 41-9. Peppers added one interception for 13 return yards.

Women's Basketball Tickets On Sale

North Carolina women's basketball season tickets are now on sale for 2001-02. UNC opens the season on Nov. 9, hosting George Mason in the preseason WNIT.

For the second year, UNC fans can support ovarian cancer research by purchasing a season-ticket package. Coach Sylvia Hatchell will donate $5 to the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center for each season ticket purchased.