Guiding First Impressions

Squinting at the sun, everyone listens as she explains the building was named for the University's first tenured black professor. MacLaggan has accumulated many such facts during her two years as a campus tour guide.

The admissions office is currently accepting applications for more than 100 open spots among the corps of students, like MacLaggan, responsible for introducing visitors to University facilities and sharing interesting bits of trivia.

MacLaggan, a journalism and Spanish major from Austin, Texas, said she decided to volunteer for the position because she is fascinated with the history of the campus and is eager to share her school spirit with prospective students.

"People always ask me why I came to UNC, since I'm from Texas," she said. "Honestly, I just loved the campus visit, and I want to give others the same experience."

Tours entail more than a trek through the quad, a peek inside Lenoir and a drink from the Old Well. Guides also offer pertinent information about safety, housing and academics, as well as personal college experiences.

Between an introduction to Davis Library and an explanation of meal plan options, MacLaggan tells her tour groups about her involvement in campus organizations.

Jerry Lucido, director of Undergraduate Admissions, said it is individual exchanges that make tours different than simply browsing a school's Web site or reading the undergraduate bulletin. "Students are best at expressing the attributes of Carolina."

Lucido also said tour guides are an integral part of the admissions process because they provide applicants with their initial view of a university.

"There is nothing more important than a campus visit," he said.

Guides and members of the admissions office staff chose new volunteers each September. Applications are due Wednesday.

Jared Rosenberg, assistant director of admissions, said applicants must exhibit enthusiasm for the University and the ability to deal with surprise situations.

And on her tour, MacLaggan did just that.

As orange cones and noisy construction crews blocked her tour path, she rerouted her group, pausing to explain that some of the campus improvements are funded by the N.C. $3.1 billion higher education bond.

During a day-long orientation session in September, guides are trained in etiquette and emergency procedures and educated about University history and current events.

First-time volunteers must shadow two guides and lead a mock tour before meeting their first visitor group.

Despite the training, Rosenberg said tours are spontaneous. "We get a lot of feedback about our tour guides," he said. "We have started keeping a tour guide brag book with very personal thank yous to specific guides."

Sheena Portas, a high school senior from Maine, said campus tours are one of the most influential aspects in choosing a college. "If the tour guide is really passionate, it shows that they love their school," said Portas, who went on a tour with MacLaggan last Wednesday.

"I came down here to see Duke, but I'm actually liking UNC better."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.