Lineup Changes Pay Off for Field Hockey

The Golden Flashes' five goals -- the most the Tar Heels have allowed since surrendering six to Wake Forest in 1999 -- forced UNC coach Karen Shelton to alter her lineup for Sunday's contest against James Madison.

Shelton moved seniors Abby Martin and Carrie Lingo into the backfield, joining Susan Hayes and Alison Stewart.

Martin replaced freshman Carey Fetting-Smith at sweeper, where Martin played her junior year.

"It became glaringly obvious that we were too inexperienced in the backfield," Shelton said. "We needed some of our veteran players back there."

Kent State capitalized on that inexperience, connecting on five of 11 shots while drawing nine penalty corners.

North Carolina allowed only three goals during its first five games, including shutouts of Connecticut and Virginia Commonwealth.

The lineup change paid dividends for the Tar Heels. They limited JMU to one late goal and six shots in the 3-1 victory. In fact, the Dukes didn't record a shot on goal until the 25th minute of the contest.

Lingo might be new to the UNC backfield -- Martin played right back as a sophomore -- but she doesn't feel out of place.

"Abby and Amy (Tran) and I have actually been playing back there together for the national team so it's kind of like getting back into old shoes," Lingo said.

Tran, a junior goalkeeper, benefited from the backfield's defensive pressure Sunday, needing to make only one save. The lone JMU goal came with 2:21 left after Alexis Suarez replaced Tran in front of net.

"It was a lot easier for me to do my job since I didn't face as many shots (on Sunday) because the defense was organized," Tran said.

Tran had recorded 23 saves and allowed three goals before Saturday's game, but she made only three saves and allowed five goals this weekend.

Lingo led the way on the defensive end, breaking up several plays inside the circle and tallying UNC's second goal in the 16th minute of the first half.

"(Carrie's) not only very talented, but she adds a physical presence back there, and then she can attack," Shelton said.

Shelton will need a strong defense if she and the Tar Heels are to reach their goal of advancing to their 13th final four in 16 seasons.

Said Shelton, "Defense wins championships."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.