Local Vendors Prosper Even Without Game

Carolina Family Weekend kept local businesses hopping, and Robert Humphreys, executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission, said a few business owners mentioned they were pleased with Saturday's sales.

"There wasn't a lot going on in the morning, which was probably related to the game, but after lunch things really picked up," Humphreys said.

Even apparel and paraphernalia shops that typically rely on fans as consumers did not suffer from a loss of profit or disappointing sales.

Holly Dedmond, manager of Chapel Hill Sportswear at 133 E. Franklin St., said she went home for the weekend when she heard the game was canceled, but was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.

"It was busier than we expected it to be considering there wasn't a ball game," she said.

In preparation for football games, Shelton Henderson, owner and manager of The Shrunken Head, located at 155 E. Franklin St., explained that the store usually stocks up and keeps more personnel on-hand.

"It was a wonderful weekend," Henderson said, "We had a lot of nice families."

Craig Jackson, manager of The Rathskeller, located at 157-1/2 E. Franklin St., said business was close to normal in comparison to past family weekends.

Jackson also said he does not think his business is being affected by an economic decline.

Humphreys said an economic slump exists, but because it is short-term local businesses should not be concerned.

"In the last six months, we have really felt the effects of the national economy slowing down that we normally would not feel in Chapel Hill," Humphreys said. "But it's a normal cost of doing business.

"This is a short concern, but it doesn't reflect on the long term viability of the town."

Christy Lehmann, manager of Johnny T-Shirt, located at 128 E. Franklin St., predicts that her store will remain strong despite the economic downturn.

"When a lot of bad stuff is going, on people look to sports."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.