Longhorns Stampede Over Tar Heels

Texas end Cory Redding picked off a Ronald Curry pass and ran it back for the Longhorns' first touchdown.

Brett Robin scored a touchdown for a 44-14 lead with 36 seconds remaining in the game. The Longhorns lined up for a two-point conversion, backup quarterback Major Applewhite took the snap and then took a knee.

No. 4 Texas (2-0) did it as a tribute to former defensive tackle Cole Pittman, who died in a car accident in February and wore jersey No. 44. The UNC game was dedicated to the memory of Pittman, and the players wear a "CP" logo on their helmets this season.

"Chance Mock was Cole's best friend, and he came over and said we're going to get 44, and I didn't even think about it," said Texas coach Mack Brown, who had to wipe tears from his eyes during pre-game ceremonies honoring Pittman. "And then when we scored, he said to take a knee. All of our coaches were excited about the thought for the Pittmans and for the players. I thought it was a great tribute to their family. I thought it was kind of strange that it popped up like that. We certainly didn't plan it that way."

Texas didn't always have the game so firmly in hand. It did, however, jump out to an early 14-point lead reminiscent of UNC's beginning at another Big 12 foe, Oklahoma, two weeks ago.

The Longhorns didn't have to work their offense hard to get the early lead.

Defensive end Cory Redding stepped in front of a Ronald Curry pass intended for Bosley Allen on UNC's 22-yard line and chugged toward the end zone for the game's first score.

Curry tried to cut him off and take his legs out, but the 6-foot-5, 260-pound Redding was ready and leaped somersault-style over the diving Curry and into the burnt orange end zone grass.

"He looked like a linebacker," Curry said. "It looked like a blitz, and he came around. I thought I could put it in there.

"I wasn't going to hit him up high. He's too big. I knew he knew I was going to go down low, but I didn't know how close I was to the end zone. He had a pretty good vert."

Texas scored on its next possession on a keeper by quarterback Chris Simms. The two-play, five-yard drive came courtesy of a 59-yard punt return by Nathan Vasher. Vasher broke a 58-year-old school record by returning eight punts for 153 yards, including a 44-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

North Carolina (0-3) battled back. Curry, who completed 5 of 20 passes for 69 yards, led the Tar Heels 77 yards down field and scored on a 20-yard run. Andre Williams, who led the team with 50 yards on the ground, scored in the second quarter two plays after UNC recovered a punt on the Texas 17 that Vasher mishandled to knot the score at 14. Texas took a 6-point lead into the break.

"Tremendous effort out here in a hostile environment playing their fannies off in the first half, and I'm really proud of them for that reason," UNC coach John Bunting said. "We came in here at halftime, had a great halftime. I thought for sure we'd come out there and show it to them again -- show everybody in the world what were all about."

Unfortunately for Bunting, Texas showed what they're all about in the second half.

Texas' talent caught up with UNC as the Longhorns got things going offensively, particularly on the ground, and never looked back as they rushed for 121 second-half yards. Three backs got time, with Ivan Williams leading the way with 75 yards on 10 carries.

UNC experienced some success moving the ball in the first half -- uncharacteristic of the season thus far. It gained 105 yards in the first quarter to Texas' 17. But Bunting was frustrated with his receivers after the game for not helping Curry out more.

"He played hard," Bunting said. "He had a couple passes that he'd like to have back, particularly some of the short throws. But I think he threw the ball well enough. A couple receivers have got to step up and make a big play. Catch that daggone ball and make a play."

For now the Tar Heels are happy to be finished with the three-game road trip that kicked off their season. They got outscored 108-48 in the losses to Oklahoma, Maryland and Texas.

"I think we need to grow up now," Bunting said. "We're getting ready to go home. I'm glad to go home. I think these players had some fun out here today. I know they did. I know they did because they competed with them."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.