Moeser Schedules Vigil for Noon

"We have come here to be together on what is clearly one of the darkest and saddest days in our history," Moeser said. "I hope by being here together, we can offer some comfort to each other."

Moeser spoke to about 100 students, faculty and administrators gathered in the Union Auditorium, expressing his sadness for the many deaths that resulted from terrorist attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania on Tuesday.

"What happened today is a tragedy ... even on a greater scale than Pearl Harbor," Moeser said.

Moeser said he hopes students will attend a vigil today at noon on the steps of South Building where speakers, including UNC professor and terrorism expert Richard Kohn, will remark on the attacks.

Classes will be canceled from noon to 2 p.m. to allow student attendance.

But Moeser said he did not cancel classes Tuesday because he wanted students to gather and talk about the day's events. "Students need to have an opportunity to be together in an organized setting and have faculty leaders," he said. "The most responsible thing we could do is provide a way for them to come together."

Classes at the Kenan-Flagler Business School were canceled Tuesday, but all other classes were held unless canceled by individual professors.

Moeser also stressed Tuesday that the University community should remember its historic commitment to service in the wake of the tragedy.

"It is important for us to remember who we are, what we stand for, what values we cherish," he said. "This is a time for us to be what Carolina always has been -- a University dedicated to serving the community."

Moeser said he hopes students will give blood and get involved with volunteer opportunities through Campus Y and the Carolina Center for Public Service.

"I believe that there are thousands of people killed and thousands who are critically injured who need our blood -- this is one thing we all can do to contribute to the healing process," he said.

"Let this be a time of fellowship. What we need on campus is a time of reaching out to each other."

Moeser also said he hopes the terrorist attacks do not divide the campus community or turn students against those who are from areas of the world that might be responsible for the attack.

"It will be even more tragic if we give way to the very kind of hatred that led to this attack," he said.

Moeser also said he is concerned for students with family in New York City and Washington. He encouraged such students to contact their resident assistants or counselors at Student Health Service. "Students should use their regular safety net or go to the counseling center," he said.

The chancellor said he also is working with UNC programs that have placed students abroad and in Washington and New York to keep those students safe and informed.

Sophomore Sarah Miller said she appreciated Moeser's show of support at a difficult time. Miller said, "I think we're all just in shock -- he was voicing everyone's opinions for us, and it's nice to have somebody do that when we aren't able to know what to say."