But some university professors expressed concern about the company's presence on a college campus.

The contract will provide athletic clothing and shoes for many of the school's athletic programs.

The school is one of six nationwide being sponsored by the Jordan brand line, which is named after basketball superstar Michael Jordan.

Almost 2,000 students congregated on campus streets, which were lined with Michael Jordan silhouettes.

A member of Team Jordan, a group of celebrity athletes who promote the Jordan brand, will also speak at the university once a semester.

School colors temporarily were changed from the usual blue and gold to maroon, gray and black -- the official colors of the Jordan brand. The university's motto was changed to "Much respect for Aggie Pride" -- a fusion of the brand and the school's motto.

Jordan University Day's events included guest lecturers, a fashion show and free Jordan brand products.

N.C. A&T Student Body President Gregory Drumwright said he thought the day was a success.

Drumwright added that he did not think many students opposed the day's events or the university's association with Nike, a company some have accused of utilizing unfair working conditions.

N.C. A&T political science Professor Samuel Moseley said there was some concern about what the event represented. "It did not go across well with many alumni, because they did not graduate from Jordan University," he said. "One has to wonder about the impact of finance on some decisions," he said.

But N.C. A&T history Professor Peter Meyers said the event was all in fun and that he knew of no real discontent. "There are bigger problems to deal with now."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.