Peace-Loving People Must Unite to `Wipe Out' World's Fanatic Zealots

As the details of the U.S.A. devastation trickle through, one is convinced this was carried out by individuals with different values from the rest of us freedom- and democracy-loving human beings.

It should be hard for all of us to have any sympathy to any group/country that would support/perpetrate such acts anywhere on this or any other planet. Celebrating such devastation, suffering and disregard for human life is not compatible with humanity as I know it.

It should now be the duty of all peace-loving individuals/groups/countries to condemn, wipe out and bring to the attention of the world any fanatic zealots who, for whatever statement/belief they wanted to make/promulgate, can plan and carry out such callous, malevolent acts.

This should start a lot of work for not only law enforcement, government and defense establishments but also all of us to police the whole earth of any such groups/individuals who can so prey on our tolerance.

Personally, I don't think there was any sophistication in planning and carrying out this act. This was just pure, unadulterated evil at work.

George Joaki, MD

Carrboro

Racist Attacks on Arab-Americans Accomplish Nothing, Must Stop

As people worldwide struggle to deal with the intense loss of life that Tuesday's events will ultimately hold, it is important to know that the only thing that we can control is how we go forward.

As the rhetoric of our public leaders turns to reaction and punishment, I have great fear that the impact will strongly be felt by people of Arab descent who are in our midst. There are already accounts of systemic harassment and physical abuse, not to mention the psychological torture of constant suspicion, that these sisters and brothers are having to deal with, and unless we attend to it, it will only escalate.

Please feel loss, mourning, fear, anxiety, rage and any other host of emotions in response to the loss of human life, but know that racist attacks on people of Arabic descent will do nothing to bring back the lives of those taken today.

Bryan Proffitt

Raleigh

Day of Bombings Will Live in Infamy as `The Day Without Words'

It amazes me how we all can just go on through life, day to day, never doubting that we will wake up to see the next sunrise and live to see the sunset ... and then, something happens, something that shakes the innermost core of our beings and challenges our soul, and everything changes.

The attacks carried out against our country were well-planned and executed to inflict the most significant amount of harm and chaos to the United States, striking down and halting multiple symbols of our ultimate national success.

In the times to come, we will be faced with many acute and severe issues revolving around international relations and violence, and we may redefine how we operate as a society or take drastic measures such as going to war.

As the noble and compassionate nation that we are, we must now pledge to support our country as it moves forward to make these decisions.

Let not these lives be lost in vain, but let us take the memories of these unknowing martyrs and fight to empower the beliefs and ideals that our nation was founded on.

This day will live in infamy as the day without words.

Ashley M Castevens

Freshman

School of Pharmacy

Nation Should Remain Calm During Time of Tragedy, Not Lash Out

The Muslims of the University of the North Carolina at Chapel Hill unequivocally and strongly condemn any and all terrorist action against innocent civilians here in America, and abroad. These coordinated and concerted attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania are a tragedy for the entire nation.

We extend our most heartfelt condolences to the victims of the nightmarish terror of Sept. 11th and to their families.

American Muslims remembering the events immediately following the 1995 attack, on the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City are naturally concerned for their safety as well. In the first few days after the incident, the American Muslim community was under attack from almost all sides, as the perpetrators were originally thought to be Middle eastern terrorists.

We sincerely hope that violent attacks of revenge against American Muslim schoolchildren, women clothed in Islamic attire, Muslim-owned businesses, mosques and Islamic centers -- which did occur in the days after the Oklahoma City bombing -- will not be repeated in the aftermath of the recent terrorist attacks.

It is important for the nation to remain calm in the face of tragedy. All citizens must unite to condemn this terrorist action and extend their condolences to the victims and to those who lost loved ones in this tragedy.

Mohamed Zayed

Senior

Biology

The author is the outreach coordinator of the Muslim Student Association.

For more letters regarding this week's event, visit www.dailytarheel.com.