The Chapel Hill Town Council will vote on the plan Oct. 3. If it is approved, UNC will be able to implement the first phase of its Master Plan.

The Development Plan is an eight-year plan that details how UNC's growth will affect the town, and it contains aspects of the University's Master Plan, which charts campus growth for the next 50 years.

University officials at the meeting said they often sought input from residents in an effort to make the plan more appealing to the town.

"We've tried to develop the Mason Farm Road project in as collaborative an effort as possible," said Dean Bresciani, associate vice chancellor for student services, referring to a portion of the plan that would expand the southern bounds of campus.

But many residents disagreed, saying the University failed to take their concerns into consideration. "Our suggestions were ignored in the final version of the Master Plan, and they have also been ignored completely in regards to the Development Plan," said Anita Wolfenden of 1307 Mason Farm Road.

"We have been misled by UNC's assurances that our input would count, and attending all these meetings has been a total waste of time."

Some council members were troubled by the residents' claims. Council member Edith Wiggins responded to residents by requesting summaries of previous meetings between the University and residents. "I wish there could be a meaningful meeting with residents of Mason Farm Road and the University," said Mayor Rosemary Waldorf.

There were also several references at the hearing to the Smith Center special-use permit, which University officials are requesting to have abandoned.

The permit, created in 1980, requires a 200-foot buffer between UNC and Mason Farm Road.

Residents worry that if the buffer is removed, there will be nothing to protect them from University growth.

No decision was made at the hearing, although University officials asked that the removal of the special-use permit be considered along with approval of the Development Plan.

Several students from student government and the Residence Hall Association also came to the hearing to express support for UNC's growth plan.

"It will make all of our lives easier," said Frances Ferris, chairwoman of external relations for student government.

"It's going to benefit the University as well as the town."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.