The North Carolina volleyball team cancelled this weekend's Carolina/Nike Classic and instead plays its home opener against William & Mary at 3p.m. Sunday.

UNC (4-3) was scheduled to play Pepperdine, Georgia and Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the tournament.

Instead North Carolina opens its home campaign at Carmichael Auditorium against the 5-1 Tribe.

UNC-G Comes to Town To Face Men's Soccer

The North Carolina men's soccer team will play UNC-Greensboro at 2 p.m. Sunday at Fetzer Field.

The No. 14 Tar Heels were to have played New Hampshire and West Virginia in this weekend's Nike Carolina Classic.

"It's obviously difficult to play under these circumstances," defender Danny Jackson said Wednesday. "It's a mark of respect (to not play), and I think it's good that the games get canceled to a point."

Field Hockey Weathers Change, Hosts 2 Games

After canceling weekend games against Old Dominion and Virginia, the UNC field hockey team hosts Wake Forest on Sunday and ODU on Monday.

Sunday's game at 1 p.m. against the Demon Deacons will not count as a conference game for either team. The UNC-WFU conference match is still scheduled for Oct. 6. The ACC field hockey teams only are required to play each other once -- Wake and UNC traditionally schedule two games a year.

The Tar Heels (5-0) play the Lady Monarchs (4-2) on Monday at 2 p.m. at Henry Stadium.

The game against UVa. will be rescheduled for later -- possibly on Sept. 26, when UNC and Wake's match was originally slated.

-- From Staff Reports