Student Criticizes Paper And Maintains Moeser's Visibility on Campus

Despite a trial by fire thanks to unprecedented budget woes, when The Daily Tar Heel ran its report card on Chancellor James Moeser's first year, all they could ask is for him to improve his visibility on campus.

As he has stated and proven all along, Chancellor Moeser is a zealot for improvement, and he is committed to answering this concern.

For all of you who want to see the chancellor walking around in the quad, listening in the back of a classroom or hanging out in the Pit, keep your eyes open Oct. 3 when UNC's Order of the Bell Tower will revive its Chancellor for a Day Program.

As part of the Chancellor for a Day Program, Chancellor Moeser will shadow a selected student to his or her morning classes, attending them not as the head of the university but as a student just like anyone else.

You'll see him in the Pit hanging out during breaks, walking through the quad and sitting in class, trying to keep up even though he didn't do the reading.

Once classes are completed, the roles will be reversed, allowing the student to go to work with the chancellor for an afternoon. The only thing currently missing from our plan is the student who will spend the day with the chancellor.

So for all you who believe that Chancellor Moeser should be more visible on campus, keep your eyes open for OBT's Chancellor for a Day program.

For those who want to be more involved, any student interested in participating in this program can pick up an application in the Union or the George Watts Hill Alumni Center.

Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Sept. 21, and the chosen student will be notified by Sept. 25.

Matthew Leatherman
Junior
Political Science and History