Student Emphasizes That Violence Shouldn't Come Out of Anger About Event

I believe that many of us are still trying to sift through the chaos of Tuesday's events. Not surprisingly, the grief many are communicating is mingled with anger. In some cases, this anger seems almost hostile. Some people are expressing their anger as hatred.

I believe our real enemy lies within. It is the hatred we feel. I further believe that by harboring it, we are just as evil as the terrorists that piloted the planes.

The only difference between them and us is that they acted on their hatred. Jesus said in the book Matthew, "You have heard the Law of Moses says, `Do not murder. If you commit murder you are subject to judgement.' But I say, if you are angry with someone, you are subject to judgement...You have heard that the Law of Moses says, `Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say love your enemies! Pray for those that prosecute you!"

There are weapons mightier than both pen and sword. They are weapons of love and compassion. Even now, in a time when we have been greatly wronged, we must put aside our weapons of hatred and destruction. We must, instead, take arms against the enemy within.

Luke Jones Sophomore

Journalism and Mass Communication