Tuesday September 28th

Student Urges Nation to Recognize Long-Term Consequences of War

In the aftermath of last Tuesday's gruesome attacks, while the entire nation is mourning the loss of thousands of innocent civilian lives, Bush says the United States will wage a "long war."

We have to realize that the action that the United States decides to take will have significant and long-lasting implications.

The United States says it will bomb Afghanistan if it refuses to give up Osama bin Laden.

India and Pakistan have offered the United States their airspace and ground support should the United States decide to attack Afghanistan.

Afghanistan, on the other hand, has pledged to declare war against any country that decides to side with the United States, including Pakistan, which is one of the very few countries that recognizes the Taliban as the official government of Afghanistan.

Moreover, the Islamic militant groups in Pakistan are geared to initiate a civil war if the government decides to help the United States in any way.

The question is: Are we going to avenge the loss of thousands of innocent civilian lives by killing even more civilians who stand nowhere at fault?

Is that going to make us feel better? Is that what we as humans want?

Going to war is also bound to have severe economic implications.

With globalization, most economies of the world are interconnected so strongly that a strain on the already reeling U.S. economy will inevitably result in economic crises in numerous other countries.

In light of these issues, we can just hope that whatever action Bush and his men take is contemplated well and involves minimal loss of innocent human lives.

Aishwarya Kumar

Senior

Economics, Management and Society

Welcome Back Edition 2021