The Daily Tar Heel

Serving the students and the University community since 1893

Wednesday February 8th

Students Sticking To Flights

While few UNC students are scheduling new flights, most are not canceling trips that are scheduled for Fall Break.

For the first time in U.S. history, air traffic nationwide was grounded Tuesday after terrorists hijacked and crashed four planes, killing everyone on board. Raleigh-Durham International Airport resumed limited flights Thursday only after increased security measures had been put in place.

But in spite of the recent violence, most students plan to follow through with their Fall Break travel plans and note that air travel might actually be safer now than before.

"I still have confidence in our air system," said Michelle Cash, a junior from Rhode Island. "They seem to have things on a pretty good lockdown."

Although many students are not afraid of flying, at least one student's parents have a different opinion.

Sophomore Dana Gottheim from Charlotte planned to fly to New York City with friends for Fall Break, but she said her parents are worried now because of the events last week.

"Safety and security concern them, but their main objection is that they think I shouldn't fly unless it's absolutely necessary," she said.

Gottheim and other students said they hope things calm down by the time Fall Break comes. "Once things start to return to a little bit of normalcy, my parents might reconsider."

But if students do decide to stay at UNC for Fall Break, they will be able to stay in their residence halls. The Department of Housing and Residential Education decided all residence halls will stay open over the break.

"We made a huge change this year, but we made it before the tragedy happened," said Rebecca Casey, housing department assistant director. "All the residence halls will be open because it is such a short break period."

One student expressed the kinds of concerns that might keep students in their residence halls. Jamie Singer, a junior from New Jersey, said although she is not flying home for Fall Break, she would be nervous if she was. "The idea of going on a plane now is frightening," she said. "Just being on a plane now is unsettling."

Students do not seem to be changing their travel plans, but they might not be making new ones, said Beatrice Dippy, a representative of Council Travel on Rosemary Street. Dippy said fewer students have been making reservations but that she is not sure if the slow business is linked to the terrorist attacks.

Overall, most students say whether they are staying in at UNC or flying home, they haven't altered their plans.

But they said the attacks might make air travel slower and less convenient.

Philip Smallwood, a sophomore from Mexico, said he fears he might have to arrive as many as three hours before his flight to go through the security checks.

But Smallwood said he thinks any increased security measures that might be adopted outweigh the inconveniences they might cause.

Mike DeMeo, a sophomore from New Jersey, agreed that new safety measures will be sufficient to get him home for Fall Break. "I trust that the government has things under control now," he said. "I can trust the heightened security."

The University Editor can be reached at udesk@unc.edu.

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.


Comments

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition

Special Print Edition

Games & Horoscopes

Print Edition Games Archive