Subs Lead Women's Soccer To Victory

Its reserves proved just as capable of trouncing Missouri.

The Tar Heels (5-0) defeated the Tigers 7-0 and outshot them 28-2 at the Duke Adidas Women's Soccer Classic. UNC topped Georgia 9-0 on Friday.

With a 5-0 lead and 30:56 left in the game, UNC coach Anson Dorrance called off the dogs, letting five reserves, three of which were freshmen, take the field. The domination continued.

"We can sub in four people at a time, and the level really doesn't drop off," senior midfielder Jena Kluegel said. "That's something we haven't had for the past few years. They're coming in and they're scoring more goals for us, and that's really going to help us this year."

With 13 minutes to play, not one of UNC's starters was left on the field. The Tar Heel reserves still maintained almost exclusive possession of the ball and added two goals.

There were visions of the future in the game's 78th minute when Leigh Blomgren fed fellow freshman Anne Felts for UNC's sixth goal. A streaking Felts stutter-stepped to wait on Blomgren's lead pass before placing the ball inside the far post.

In the 79th minute, freshman Sara Randolph sent the ball slicing through a swarm of yellow Tiger jerseys deep in Missouri territory to sophomore Jane Smith, who knocked it in for the game's final score.

"We've seen flashes that have excited us from different (freshman) players," Dorrance said. "From Randolph (with) her amazing athleticism, to the unbelievable soccer savvy of Anne Felts, to the athletic qualities of Mary McDowell and the strength and power and tenacity of an Anne Morrell."

Still, Dorrance said he doesn't believe the Tar Heels lived up to their performance against Georgia.

"I genuinely feel that we have the potential to play the game at an amazingly high level," Dorrance said. "We saw it on Friday and now that's the standard we're going to hold the team to."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.