Suspect Identified in Break-Ins

Police arrested David Craig, 37, of 100 W. Rosemary St., in connection to an Aug. 19 break-in at the Carolina Brewery, located at 460 W. Franklin St.

Police charged Craig on Thursday with one felony count of breaking and entering larceny, four misdemeanor counts of damaging computers, two misdemeanor counts of injury to real property and one misdemeanor count of injury to personal property.

Although Craig only has been charged with one breaking and entering count, Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said police also have tagged him as a suspect in break-ins last week at four area businesses.

The four break-ins, two of which took place on Franklin Street, all occurred within a period of just more than 24 hours on Aug. 29 and 30.

"We're certainly looking at him as a suspect, but at this point he hasn't been charged with anything more," Cousins said. "He has a history of being arrested for this same crime."

Reports state that police arrested Craig on May 8 in conjunction with a string of break-ins to four different Eastgate businesses, all of which occurred in less than a 12- hour period on April 16 and 17.

According to the Orange County Administrative Office of the Courts' Web site, no charges are pending in the Eastgate arrests, and Cousins said she did not know how the cases had been resolved.

But Cousins said police singled Craig out as a suspect because the method of entry used at the Carolina Brewery and at the four Eastgate businesses was identical to the entry method used by the perpetrators of the Franklin Street break-ins.

In all nine incidents, various objects, including large rocks, were used to smash the front door and gain entry to the business, reports state.

"He's (used this method to gain entry) before," Cousins said.

Reports state that an alarm sounded at the Carolina Brewery at 4:17 a.m. on Aug. 19.

Officers arrived at the restaurant and found that a burglar had pulled the front door off its hinges and proceeded to damage several computers, causing $12,750 worth of damage, reports state.

The intruder also broke into an interior office and caused an additional $700 worth of damage to a desk.

The arrest, made on Thursday at 11:30 p.m., was based on physical evidence found at the scene of the crime.

Craig is being held at the Orange County Jail under a $20,000 secured bond and was scheduled to appear in the Orange County Superior Court on Friday.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.