UNC's Offense Stalls in Home Loss

But Shelton, who was in Arlington, Va., for personal reasons, called the press box 10 times for game updates.

The news wasn't good.

The Demon Deacons topped the

No. 2 Tar Heels 2-0, becoming the first team to shut out UNC since Old Dominion did on Sept. 16 of last year.

Maria Whitehead got No. 8 Wake Forest (5-3) on the board in the 10th minute, putting in a rebound from seven yards out.

That was all the offense Wake would need, as the Tar Heels (6-2) struggled all night to generate any offensive attacks.

"Our first line really played some tough defense," Wake coach Jennifer Averill said. "I thought they worked well together clogging the back."

Although UNC drew three more corners than the Deacons, Wake goalkeeper Katie Ridd needed only two saves to record the shutout.

North Carolina nearly scored with 10 minutes left in the first half, but the Wake defense smothered Carey Fetting-Smith's shot and cleared the ball from the circle.

Carrie Lingo nearly added the equalizer at 2:15. Lingo drove down the right side, but her sharp-angled shot hit the outside of the net.

"I think we just didn't finish," senior back Susan Hayes said. "We had opportunities, definitely, to put the ball in, and we just weren't doing it."

Wake controlled possession for most of the second half.

After halftime, UNC didn't draw a penalty corner or put a shot on goal until 12:01 left in the game.

While the Deacons' defense was at work, their offense added an insurance goal with 26:46 remaining.

UNC keeper Amy Tran made an initial save, but Wake's Heather Aughinbaugh put the rebound into the back of the net, giving the Deacons a two-goal lead.

Tran recorded six saves on the night, including a save off her helmet just before the half.

Wake consistently beat the Tar Heels to loose balls, and the early lead allowed the Deacons to sag back on defense.

"I think we got beaten at our own game today," UNC associate head coach Nick Conway said.

"The other team looked like it wanted it a bit more than us."

Junior Meredith Keller gave UNC a glimmer of hope late in the second half. But both her shots sailed wide of the net.

"They had more passion than we did," Hayes said. "We've got a long way to go."

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.