UNC's Plan to Get Durant in Not Settled, But Certain

Although Durant couldn't produce the same spark against Texas, the redshirt freshman has impressed UNC coach John Bunting and offensive coordinator Gary Tranquill enough that Durant's entrance into the second half of Saturday's game against Florida State is already planned.

"We're not completely settled on it, but Darian will get into the ball game earlier than he has," Bunting said of Saturday's game plan. "There's a plan for it, as opposed to previously when there was no plan for Darian to get into the game."

Durant is 27 for 47 with two touchdowns and three interceptions. Starting quarterback Ronald Curry runs more than Durant and had trouble moving the ball against Oklahoma and Maryland. Durant has thrown for more yardage in two of three games.

"It just brings excitement," offensive tackle Greg Woofter said of Durant's play. "That's what the fans want."

Senior wideout Kory Bailey said he thought it was appropriate for Durant to get more playing time.

"He should get more playing time, Bailey said. "I don't think the receivers have a preference. We just have to try to make plays."

The wide receivers' ability to make plays is a sensitive issue following UNC's 44-14 loss to Texas. After the game, Bunting criticized the wideouts' play.

Four receivers caught eight passes for 115 yards. Bailey, who made one grab for 12 yards, said he didn't respond well to Bunting's comments.

True freshman receiver Chris Hawkins will make his debut against Florida State. He is one of four true freshmen scheduled to play against the Seminoles.

The Tar Heels are hoping to use the four -- tailback Jacque Lewis and offensive linemen Jason Brown and Chase Page also will play Saturday -- for 15 to 20 snaps a game.

The One That Got Away

Florida State tailback Nick Maddox went to A.L. Brown High School in Kannapolis but picked the Seminoles instead of North Carolina.

Bunting pointed to Maddox as an example of something UNC needs to do -- get blue chip recruits from the state.

Bunting said he expects Maddox to help out with FSU's injury-plagued receiving corps.

"Maddox does a lot for them," he said. "He is like having four receivers in a three-receiver group."

No Place Like Home

North Carolina's long-awaited first home game of the season is set for kickoff at noon Saturday.

Although Bunting noted college students' difficulties in getting to a noon game, he still expects to see a large crowd to welcome the team.

Bunting said, "I think our fans should be excited about having our team home after three straight away games and seeing the way we've played at times, see if they can help be the 12th man and get in there and help our team, help our program get back to where we want it to be."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.