Alums School Younger Runners

A team composed of UNC alumni edged the men's cross country team by two points at the UNC Challenge.

The veterans reunited to emphasize the goals of the entire group at the UNC Cross Country Course.

The squad taught the younger guys a lesson or two with its win against the current team by two points at the UNC Challenge.

"The alumni just showed us how to run as a team, and team-wise that was the team that we were competitive with," UNC cross country coach Michael Whittlesey said. UNC finished 30 points ahead of Virginia Commonwealth.

The alumni team stressed the group effort they put forth to achieve the unexpected win.

"We didn't think that we could pull this off because everyone is spread out across the globe," said Chris Bennett, who graduated in 1999. "The best part was to see the reaction of the new team after we won. I hope that, if nothing else, it shows them how much it means to wear the uniform."

Bennett was the top finisher for the alumni team finishing in a time of 25 minutes and 45 seconds. He finished fourth overall in the race.

Alumni traveled from England, California, Georgia, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia to challenge the younger Tar Heels.

"We're proud of who we were and who we are now, and that is why we came back," alumnus Jason Page said.

In the last three years, the alumni haven't been able to beat the current UNC team. But this time, they accomplished the goal they set their minds on six months ago.

"We basically wanted to come down here and prove a point," Page said. "We wanted to show them the importance of the uniform. That we take it seriously and so should they."

The less experienced Tar Heels were impressed by combined effort of the veteran runners.

"We definitely need to be trying to work as a pack," said UNC runner Brian McGovern, who was his team's top finisher Saturday.

"It makes it easy running with someone there."

McGovern finished the five-mile race in 25:48:00.

"It is good to see people who were in this sport still in the sport," Whittlesey said. "It also feels good to provide the opportunity to keep them in the sport."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.