APPLES Programs Offer Unique Experiences For Students to Get Involved

For the past two years I have been a part of an extremely unique program on campus sponsored by the APPLES Service-Learning Organization.

As both a participant and a student leader, I have taken part in two Alternative Spring Break trips -- one to eastern North Carolina to aid in flood relief and one to the Outer Banks to work on various projects with Habitat for Humanity, a local Alzheimer's center and The Nature Conservancy.

Both trips gave me the chance to reach out of the campus bubble and to become aware and active in dealing with issues in other North Carolina communities. They also introduced me to two incredible groups of people who shared in my experience.

While many universities around the country sponsor Alternative Spring Break programs, most trips require extensive fund raising.

Yet, due to the success of the APPLES program, UNC students have the opportunity to attend one of three Alternative Spring Break trips for free.

In addition, students also earn one hour of pass/fail credit by meeting with their groups once a week during the spring semester in preparation for the trip.

This year APPLES will send groups of students to the Outer Banks, Wilmington, and Cherokee.

APPLES is still looking for interested people to apply for this program. Applications are available at the Union Desk and at the APPLES office in Union Suite 108, and they are due this Friday.

Take advantage of something unique to our school. You won't find many other opportunities like this.

Meredith Gaylord
Junior
Communication Studies