Chief Marshal of Senior Class Resigns, Demands Leaders' Accountability

To the class of 2002: I'm writing to inform you that I am hereby resigning from the position of chief marshal of the senior class. Recent actions regarding the selection of our Commencement speaker on the part of Vice President Ursula Dimmling have forced me to choose morality in leadership over a resume builder. What follows is what led me to my decision:

As a firm believer in the idea that the students should select their Commencement speaker, I would like to pursue the names that over 300 seniors have suggested via e-mail (names such as Robin Williams, Denzel Washington and Peter Jennings). Dimmling feels that we should support the wisdom of our faculty and pursue speakers such as Nadine Gordimer. I was shocked to learn that in a recent vote among a handful of students and faculty, Dimmling, who was elected to represent the students, voted for the faculty suggestions. Unfortunately, one vote (her vote) was enough to dismiss many student-suggested names.

Disappointed, I scheduled a meeting with the chancellor for this morning in hopes that he might reconsider the results of a very narrow vote. Scheduled to attend this meeting were President Ben Singer, Dimmling, several senior marshals and myself. Yesterday I learned that Dimmling has decided that the senior marshals and myself will not be allowed to attend the meeting that we requested. Why are seniors who have been working on Commencement banned from a meeting regarding their work? While Dimmling maintains that this new decision is purely one of protocol, I can't help but to wonder if Dimmling is merely seeking to minimize her opposition on a committee where no other student feels as passionately about Nadine Gordimer as she does. After all, our attendance at important meetings in the past has never been a problem. Dimmling's manipulative decision will only serve to further her personal agenda by silencing her opposition. This intolerable act is far outside the definition of a leader.

I hereby challenge our officers, particularly Dimmling, to start being the representatives we elected them to be. And I challenge you as students to demand accountability from your elected representatives. My resignation is indicative of my lack of tolerance for such unethical leadership. Dimmling might have silenced me and the marshals by banning us from today's meeting, but you have not been silenced.

Whether you're bothered by Dimmling's dictatorship or whether you're bothered that Nadine Gordimer might speak at graduation, please let Dimmling know how you feel. She can be reached at uncurs@hotmail.com.

Annie Peirce

Senior

English

The length rule was waived.