County May Be Site of New Campus

The Orange County Board of Commissioners met with Durham Tech officials Thursday night to determine a course of action.

"We asked the administration of Durham Tech and our (County Manager John Link) to develop a time frame of what needs to be done when," Commissioner Barry Jacobs said.

Commissioner Alice Gordon said a task force is looking at a site in central Orange County for the campus.

The site for the satellite campus, which will be housed in one building, needs to be 15 to 20 acres, and specifically in an area easily accessible to transit routes.

The campus primarily will be financed by a $4 million bond package set aside by Orange County in 2000.

Jacobs said the money is only available for six years after its passage, encouraging construction before the 2006 deadline.

The commissioners are still awaiting clarification for whether the $4 million is available only if the project is finished by 2006 or whether the package will fund the campus if it is begun by 2006.

In addition to the $4 million bond package, Orange County must provide the other $4 million necessary to complete the project. Jacobs said the money will be appropriated from various general funds.

Jacobs said the commissioners are looking for a spot that will allow for the building and necessary parking. "Preferably we would like to have less parking, and closer access to a public transit route," he said.

The satellite location could bring a second college campus to Orange County. Jacobs said the satellite campus should be complimentary to Orange County and to UNC. "UNC can help to develop some of the curriculum," Jacobs said. "There are already UNC students taking classes at Durham Tech. There will be more seats available there."

Gordon said 22 percent of Durham Tech's enrollment comes from Orange County. She said the satellite campus would offer Orange County residents a closer, more convenient location.

Jacobs said the satellite campus would not interfere with UNC's growth plans because the campus will not be close to the University.

Jacobs said commissioners and officials from Durham Tech are excited about proceeding with the project. "It will be great for education in Orange County, job retraining and economic development."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.