Distinguished Scholarships Offer Travel, Study

Five national, merit-based scholarships are being offered to UNC students in a variety of disciplines to qualified juniors and seniors who want to pursue advanced degrees and careers in their fields of study.

The different scholarships range from a general allowance for graduate study to a one-year internship program in Asia.

Robert Greenberg, director of the Office of Distinguished Scholarships and Intellectual Life, said these are prestigious scholarships and that they can have a dramatic impact on students' lives.

"Even if you don't get one, the process of applying for them is worthwhile," he said. "Once you do get them, it's a life-changing experience. They open so many doors and change the course of life in very important ways."

Two of the scholarships are available to seniors who wish to study at the University of Cambridge in England. The Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarship funds one year of study for math and science students at the university's Churchill College, and the Gates Cambridge Scholarship allows students to either receive a second bachelor's degree or pursue graduate or doctorate work.

Seniors wanting to gain experience overseas may apply for the Luce Scholarship, an award that finances a one-year internship in Asia.

For juniors who plan to pursue careers in public service, the Harry S. Truman scholarship offers $3,000 for senior-year study and $27,000 for graduate school.

The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, a nomination-based award, provides up to $7,000 a year for sophomore and junior math and science majors.

Raymond Farrow, director of development for international studies, said he recognizes the importance of these awards. He received a Luce Scholarship in 1989 and cited his internship experience in Taiwan as the most formative of his life.

"There are few opportunities in life to fundamentally change you," he said. "This is one of those experiences that can do that, and that's exciting."

Although competition for the national awards is intense, the University has an impressive record of winning distinguished scholarships. UNC students won one Churchill, one Luce and two Goldwater Scholarships last year alone.

Students hoping to win one of these scholarships can take a number of steps to help their chances. Greenberg suggested cultivating relationships with professors and getting involved in public service and extracurricular activities.

He also emphasized his office's dedication to helping students work toward these opportunities.

"We want our students to succeed, and our office is committed to helping students get these scholarships," he said. "We're available, and our door is open."