Final Vote on District Maps Delayed

RALEIGH -- Democrats delayed a final vote on a new state House district map that attempts to strengthen their control of the chamber after their fragile majority wavered on the floor Wednesday.

Two black Democrats who grudgingly voted Tuesday to support the party leaders' boundaries took the floor Wednesday to criticize the map for failing to bolster minority representation.

"I think we don't have a sufficient number of majority-minority districts," said Rep. Mary McAllister, D-Cumberland, referring to districts with black populations of at least 50 percent.

"I just don't believe that we will have as many African-Americans again (as) in this House today."

After a similar speech by Rep. Alma Adams, D-Guilford, House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, adjourned the session until Thursday morning amid howls of Republicans already unhappy with Black's decision not to take up their amendments.

"I was not prepared to pull the trigger," said Black, adding he was unaware there was a problem until the debate began. "Something didn't sound right."

Tuesday's vote in favor of the district map was 62-57. A change of two or three votes could block its passage.

"We'll do some talking to some people," Black said. "If we have to redraw or tweak the map, we'll redraw or tweak the map."

But Rep. Joe Hackney, D-Orange, who is vice chairman of Legislative Redistricting Committee, said Democratic leaders will continue trying to build a consensus on the current plan and will avoid redrawing district lines.

"We will continue searching for votes to pass the current plan," Hackney said.

Five black Democrats complained publicly about the map two weeks ago, saying it reduced minority influence in violation of the U.S. Voting Rights Act. Democratic leaders updated the plan this week to increase the minority population in five districts with black incumbents.

Four of the five dissenting Democrats went along with the changes Tuesday.

But Adams and McAllister said Wednesday they were concerned the percentages of black residents weren't high enough to elect black candidates.

"We've worked very hard that there would be a presence of African-Americans and that minorities would be represented in the General Assembly," Adams said.

The fifth dissenting Democrat, Rep. Toby Fitch, D-Wilson, was not on the floor Tuesday and declined to say how he would vote on the map.

Republicans were angered Wednesday when Black again refused to take up their amendments.

Black said Democrats gave the GOP plenty of opportunities to make changes, but Republicans saddled with a pledge to toe the caucus line couldn't agree to support the plan.