'Killer Condom' Takes Bite Out of Awkward Issues

At least that's what the Carolina Union Activities Board was banking on.

Representatives from four campus organizations attended CUAB's free screening of the film "Killer Condom" on Tuesday evening to discuss issues raised in the movie, including contraceptive use, morality and homosexuality.

"We thought it would make people talk," said CUAB President Krisi Young of the film. "We wanted to provide an atmosphere where people will feel comfortable talking about what they've seen."

Sponsored by CUAB's Retro Perspective Committee, the program began with the 103-minute German comedy about carnivorous contraceptives that threaten to wipe out every homosexual, transvestite and prostitute in New York City.

Immediately after the movie, committee chairwoman Ashley Lorance moderated a discussion between moviegoers and representatives from Queer Network for Change, Planned Parenthood, Student Health Services and Choice U.S.A.

Shaina Gross, a representative for Planned Parenthood, thought the program allowed participants to discuss a delicate, sometimes awkward, set of issues.

"It's a touchy subject and not everyone's comfortable talking about it," Gross said. "This is an opportunity that kind of opens the doors for people to talk about condoms, to look at them, to joke about it a little bit -- become more comfortable with actually using protection," she said.

Barbara Jones, a sex education counselor for Student Health Services, also was pleased with the atmosphere the program fostered.

"I think it did enable us to examine some of our values and some of our beliefs and examine our society when it comes to homosexuality and gender roles," she said.

Fred Hashagen, an administrative assistant for QNC, agreed that the film and discussion provided a forum to discuss important issues.

"I always think it's important for the (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community here to take an opportunity to sit down and talk about LGBT issues whenever any such venue arises," Hashagen said. "I think anytime dialogue on sexuality is brought up here, it's important."

While pleased with the issues raised in the film, Hashagen was not entirely satisfied with the film itself.

"Hearing the name of the movie, `Killer Condoms,' I didn't have tremendous hope that this would be a terribly enlightening night for a whole lot of people," he said. "I think that the film they chose in order to generate conversation could have been better."

Young and Lorance said the CUAB considered inviting a wider array of campus organizations to the discussion, but eventually opted against it.

"It was more left (leaning)," said Lorance of the discussion and groups in attendance. "We were thinking about bringing some more right groups but thought it might turn into a debate. That's not what we wanted."

In addition to raising important issues, Young said the program reached a broad spectrum of students.

"I think it's important that we do a wide variety of programs so that we reach everybody," she said. "Our job is to provide programming for all students no matter whether they're a majority on campus or a minority on campus."

In the end, most participants agreed they were treated to an entertaining movie that raised some serious topics.

Lorance said, "It addressed important issues in a very different way in that it was a fun movie."