Mayoral Candidate Kevin Foy Serves as the Best Choice for Chapel Hill

Since Kevin Foy was elected to the council, he has fulfilled his housing priority by establishing the principle that no application for development is complete unless it either provides 15 percent affordable housing or the developer explains why it does not. All developers, in their first meeting with Chapel Hill's Planning Department, are now informed of this requirement.

The 15 percent goal had been part of the Comprehensive Plan since 1989 but had never been realized before Foy insisted, by refusing to grant a special permit, that a particular developer provide affordable houses in his development. The council followed Foy's lead and refused to grant the permit without the housing. The developer provided the housing. The council granted the permit. Foy's opponent, who now touts his support for affordable housing and his strong negotiating skills, had not done a thing on affordable housing in his five years on the council. Thanks to Foy, a development on Homestead Road will provide 15 percent of the housing as affordable in a project of 200 units. That's about as many affordable units as are being built at Meadowmont. Meadowmont's affordable housing is supported by a million dollars in government subsidies whereas the Homestead Road project requires no public money. Foy's opponent helped "negotiate" that rotten deal at Meadowmont, along with the swampland that was provided for a park and school. Let's elect a mayor who will do something about affordable housing and not just talk about it. Please vote for Kevin Foy on Nov. 6.

Sennai Habtes

Chapel Hill