Mayoral Candidate Pavao Advocates Continuation Of Preserving Greenways

I am voting for Lee Pavao for mayor of Chapel Hill, and I urge you to do the same.

I have known Lee for many years and have enjoyed working with him on various volunteer projects.

One that I remember well was the planting of the mini-park of East Franklin Street and Elliot Road. Pavao was there, shovel in hand, working to better that little bit of environment, making Chapel Hill more attractive. There were not many folks there, not enough to attract the media, but Pavao was. I think that is indicative of Lee Pavao.

If he sees a job to be done, if it makes Chapel Hill a better place to live and it makes good sense, Pavao supports it. Pavao's qualifications for the job of mayor are excellent.

He has the respect of the Town Council. They chose him a mayor pro tempore by unanimous vote. He has the capacity and the patience to find consensus, not always easy in Chapel Hill, but necessary for the mayor. Chapel Hill is facing many difficult issues.

We need maturity, good judgement and the ability to get the job done that Pavao has shown.

He supports affordable housing, such as the recent housing project on Legion Road. He has pledged 15 percent of his campaign funds to Orange Community Housing and the Land Trust to show that support. Prior to his election to the Town Council, he served as a member and chairman of Parks and Recreation Commission and advocates continuing and expanding Chapel Hill greenways and parks. He will continue to work to improve the relationship between the town and the University.

For all these reasons, I urge you to support Pavao and elect him the next mayor of Chapel Hill.

Frederick A. Meier

Chapel Hill