Operation Smile Opens New Chapter at UNC

Operation Smile is a private, nonprofit volunteer medical services organization providing reconstructive surgery and related health care to children and young adults in developing countries and in the United States, said Janelle Harrell, president of the campus chapter of Operation Smile.

These services are offered free or at extremely reduced prices.

Operation Smile also provides education and training throughout the world to physicians and other health care professionals to achieve long-term self-sufficiency, Harrell said.

The organization works both domestically and in 20 countries abroad and works mainly with cleft palates and cleft lips, said Jennifer Solms, vice president of the campus chapter. Operation Smile currently operates clinics in Charlotte and Winston-Salem, Solms said. "We hope to hook up with doctors there to shadow in these operations," she said.

Harrell said they hope to open an undergraduate chapter at UNC within the next couple of years to help local people with the deformities. Until then the group will focus on education and fund raising.

The undergraduate chapter mainly would be involved in fund raising and patient transport to the Charlotte and Winston-Salem clinics. Undergraduate students can apply to be youth volunteers on Operation Smile missions, Solms said.

Harrell said she decided to start a chapter at UNC because she wanted to help children with facial deformities, many of which can be fixed with simple, inexpensive surgeries.

"A smile is something we take for granted," she said. "But these children can't eat or speak because of a simple deformity."

Operation Smile and the Surgery Interest Group will be hosting a yard sale and supply drive Wednesday to benefit Operation Smile. The sale will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. beside Berryhill Hall.

Individuals or organizations pay $10 to reserve a table where they can sell their belongings. Supplies such as sample-size hygiene products, mirrors, combs and toys will be collected as well, Solms said.

Eventually, members of the campus chapter plan to open a clinic in the new Children's Hospital, Solms said.

She said doctors on the UNC Hospitals Cranio-Facial team have agreed to allow students involved in Operation Smile to shadow them during operations.