Pause Makes Immediate Impact in Return

UNC midfielder Logan Pause returned to the Tar Heels months ahead of schedule from a left knee injury.

North Carolina midfielder Logan Pause was supposed to miss the entire 2001 men's soccer season due to a torn meniscus in his left knee. Since he was the team's top returning scorer, his loss would have been a crushing blow to an already inexperienced UNC offense.

But Pause has defied the odds, not only playing in the Tar Heels' game against Duke on Saturday night at Fetzer Field, but also scoring the game-winning goal in a 1-0 UNC victory.

"It just feels good to be back," Pause said.

Pause entered the game at 26:10 and played the remainder of the game. He scored the game's only goal in the 52nd minute on a give-and-go play with Marcus Storey, blasting the ball into the lower right side of the goal from 25 yards out. He said the goal was a confidence-booster.

"I was real nervous, but it's always good to come back and score a goal," Pause said.

Although Pause has been out of action, he said he was able to step into the offense immediately without missing a beat.

"I've been a part of the team the whole time, just not on the field," Pause said. "I wouldn't say (coming back) was easy, but it was easier for me to get in with the personnel around me."

Pause began practicing at full speed Wednesday, and UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said Pause himself made the final decision to play Saturday.

"He made the decision (to play) by the way he trained all week long," Bolowich said. "He gave me the OK that he was 100 percent ready.

"It's good to have Logan back."

Pause said he was lucky that his recovery was so fast, but he said he would have never been able to return so quickly without the work of the team's trainer, Chris Hirth.

Bolowich said Pause's return to the field will be crucial for UNC. He described Pause as a player that can control the pace of an entire game.

One aspect of UNC's team that Pause instantly improved was communication between the midfielders and forwards.

Throughout the season, the Tar Heels have had trouble moving the ball upfield and converting its runs into goals.

Pause showed he can come into a game and make big plays, and his experience and skills in the midfield should help the Tar Heels gel together as a team.

"His coming back has already made an impact," Bolowich said.

His teammates were also glad to have him return.

"We definitely need him back, and he proved it (Saturday)," forward Noz Yamauchi said. "He's done a great job of recovering and working every day, and we're proud of him."

Although Pause said he wasn't favoring the knee during the game, he did have a scare early in the second half.

Pause attempted to volley a ball out of the air and kicked Duke's Justin Bodiya. After the contact, Pause immediately started limping; however, he remained in the game and seemed unaffected by the play.

"I just tweaked it," Pause said. "It was scary, but (the knee) felt really good out there."

The knee is feeling so good that Pause said he is hopeful that he will be able to begin playing for entire games.

"I've been training to get my fitness up," Pause said. "With the guys around me, I think I can do it."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.